Thursday, October 27, 2011

Klout - Statistical Tool or Game?

Klout!

Before the update, I thought Klout was a meaningless "fun" number. Remember, when Klout started it was a Twitter influence measurement. Now, after the update, I know it is meaningless. At least with Empire Avenue you know it is a game, and Klout pretends to be a real world statistical tool. Very misleading...

Let me use myself and my wife as an example.

Before the update my Klout score was 56-57 and had been steady here for a long time. I get on my computer by 7am and log off at around 11pm. This is 16 hours. I am active on Twitter, Facebook, FB pages, Google+, LinkedIn, Foursquare, Blogger, YouTube, and more!! 

Note: On Empire Avenue, I am ranked number 70 on the leader board (US) and I have only been here 2 months. I AM VERY SOCIAL MEDIA ACTIVE!

My wife logs on the computer in the morning. She checks her email, scans though Facebook, maybe posts something, and closes her laptop. She might check in a few times during the day with her iPhone. And she checks in again after dinner. She is using Social Media for maybe 30 minutes a day. She is on Facebook...period. She doesn't do Twitter, Google+, nada. 

Before the upgrade her Klout score was 23. After the upgrade her Klout score jumped to 43! WTF!?!!??!

So my Klout score is 50 and I am online 16 hours a day on multiple platforms with lots of engagement, my wife is online less than 1 hour a day, reads Facebook and maybe posts something, and her Klout score is 43.

Klout wants you to think Klout is important. Klout is NOT a statistical tool. Klout is a game.

What do you think?

CaptRob

No comments:

Post a Comment